Guitar Project UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Main Site  

Guitar Picks

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Guitar Picks Empty
PostSubject: Guitar Picks   Guitar Picks EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 7:00 am

This could go in any of the guitar sections, so i'm putting it here.

What picks does everyone use and prefer?
Personally i use 2 types, Dunlop 0.8 most of the time, and some 0.5 clear fender picks depending on what i'm doing. I think picks can make a huge difference in the way a guitar sounds so want to hear your opinions on the matter Smile

Thanks,
Tom
Back to top Go down
https://guitarprojectuk.forumotion.com
Screaming Dave

Screaming Dave

Guitar Picks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Picks   Guitar Picks EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 9:09 am

You're right, they do make a huge difference, but I'm a bit remiss in being sure what I like to use - I'm not very picky, ha ha! Laughing (Did you see what I did, there?)

I mostly use Dunlop medium delrin things that look like tortoiseshell, but I also have a stack of Micky Mouse picks (I kid you not!) that I got at Music Live. They are shaped like Mickey's head, and each one has a different expression on his face. They're actually really nice feeling, and you can play with the ears to get a different sort of attack (but they do break off quite quickly!).

I used to use medium Landstrom Sharkfins all the time, especially for acoustic, as the serated bit made a great sound.

My sons have some glow-in-the dark skulls and alien heads, and I keep finding them laying around so they get used a lot, too.

Anyway, Medium is the sort of gauge I use.

Have you ever tried anything like Icepix? They're made of different grades of bronze and they're quite good. I tried some Aluminium ones, but they wore down against the steel strings and my guitar ended up covered in grey dust.
I've also got a couple of big triangular stainless steel picks, which look like Kung Fu throwing stars.

That reminds me, I had quite a heated debate with a guy at the National Guitar Show once who was selling sterling silver picks and wouldn't accept that they'd be great for decoration but would wear down quite quickly if used on steel strings.

Has anyone ever tried coins, a la Brian May? He is reputed to use an old sixpence, and had a load made for him at the Royal Mint with his head on! I tried using a 5p but it had too much attack.
Back to top Go down
Iggy

Iggy

Guitar Picks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Picks   Guitar Picks EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 11:15 am

I tend to use light plectra but find that the lid of a margarine tub and the like seem to do the job. I have metal and wooden ones but they were too stiff for me as was a tanner...am I showing my age here?
I enjoyed making my own with a variety of materials (so long as it was free) and shapes.
One of my fave plecs was a simple light gauge with a piece of cork stuck on one side for better grip.
I tried thumb and finger picks but couldn't get away with them. I find it better with my finger nails or a thin light-gauge pick.
It certainly boils down to your style of playing. What I mean is that you can't expect to play like chet by using a plectrum alone.
At the end of the day, I consider myself to be very limited as a plectrum user and I wish I'd learn't to use my fingers at an early stage. Just imagine being able to play like Albert Lee or Mark Knopfler.
Back to top Go down
http://www.iferrier.talktalk.net/
Screaming Dave

Screaming Dave

Guitar Picks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Picks   Guitar Picks EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 3:57 pm

A tanner? Blimey, at first I thought you were talking about some old guy who cures leather, but I realised that would be a bit unwieldy!

One thing I have found about picks as I've got older is that I don't ever lose them any more. When I was first playing in bands at about 16 I never had a pick. I used to have to borrow them because I kept losing them all the time, but now I notice that I wear them down and have to retire them rather than losing them, but even then I can't bear to throw them out. It seems somehow ungrateful after such faithful service, so now my pick tin is half full of worn down stubs of picks - mere shadows of their former selves.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Guitar Picks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Picks   Guitar Picks EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 12:58 am

Interesting.

I've attempted to use a coin before, sounded awful, so i scrapped that idea. With brian may only using older coins, maybe they're slightly softer and less harsh, because i wouldn't really say he sounds overly sharp, or maybe he's just got some mystical technique.

I've tried aluminum, and I didn't get on with them remotely, they didn't affect my sound to much, just the way i played, not sure why.

Never really made any bar using an old store card once, that worked out quite well as it goes.

I've never actually tried finger picks as it goes, they just look really uncomfortable and no help what so ever, and i've always tried to develop my finger picking, I'm still no good at it mind, but i try haha.
Back to top Go down
https://guitarprojectuk.forumotion.com
Screaming Dave

Screaming Dave

Guitar Picks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Picks   Guitar Picks EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 2:42 pm

I've tried finger picks, but found they take away all sense of touch, which I think you need for fingerpicking!

Aparently Brian May likes the milled edge on the old sixpence.

I made picks once by taking a long piece of selotape and folding it over and over so it made a thickish square. That worked OK, but only as a last resort if you're destitute!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Guitar Picks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Picks   Guitar Picks Empty

Back to top Go down

Guitar Picks
Page 1 of 1