Guitar Project UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Main Site  

hgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
yojimbo1

yojimbo1

hgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp Empty
PostSubject: hgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp   hgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 1:55 pm

well guys, ive done me pickups on the yamaha. fitted a coil tap switch, fitted a new set of wilkinson locking (ez-lok) tuners, and a new trem. now the fun begins.... how do i adjust the trem? intonation, string height, and also get the spring tension just right. its an unusual bridge in that the intonation is not adjusted from the rear, but from the top. yes....the top. the saddle moves on a slot, when correctly placed, a hex 'bolt' on the top of the saddle locks it in position. can you help me to do the set up anyone. never done one and im dropping bricks in case i have to take it to get done professionally, im skint now you see. Sad . if you can help, can you plz use the most layman of laymans terms. ta. lol!
Back to top Go down
Iggy

Iggy

PostSubject: Re: hgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp   hgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 2:05 am

sounds increadibly complicated...I wouldn't know where to start scratch

Good luck with it and lets know how you get on.

Ig
Back to top Go down
http://www.iferrier.talktalk.net/
yojimbo1

yojimbo1

PostSubject: Re: hgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp   hgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 5:48 am

yeah. im glad im bald, wouldnt like to be tearing me hair out. cant understand where i went wrong. hmmmm
Back to top Go down
Screaming Dave

Screaming Dave

PostSubject: Re: hgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp   hgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 6:58 am

If it's a Wilkinson Trem, is the string height adjusted by adjusting the height of the two posts it pivots against, or does it have six screws along the front and separate saddle height screws for each string?

Either way, I would start off by going to your local pub and nicking a few beer mats - all will be revealed!
Back to top Go down
yojimbo1

yojimbo1

PostSubject: Re: hgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp   hgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 7:22 am

no dave, its not a wilkinson one. its like a vintage trem but without the plate at the rear where the intonation screws go. flat plate with the six saddles. theres a small hex screw at the rear of the saddle which is bolted down once the intonation is set. looks cool but seems a little weird to alter. the vintage design is a lot better methinks Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Screaming Dave

Screaming Dave

PostSubject: Re: hgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp   hgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 1:53 am

The way I would set it up, then, is as follows:
1) New set of strings on, stretched and brought to concert pitch
2) Beer mats under the back of the bridge to shim it to the height you want it to be in normal playing (told you all would be revealed!) Tighten springs down so beer mats are gripped in place.
3) Adjust neck relief (0.01" between top of 7th fret and string when fretted at first and last frets simultaneously)
4) Set string height and intonation
6) Adjust trem springs until beer mats can just be moved under bridge. Tuning will drop slightly
7) Bring up to pitch again. Beer mats may well just fall out at this point or can be slid out without bridge dropping back
Cool DONE!

If using this kind of trem I would use either "nut sauce" which is a lubricant made of graphite and silicon grease in the nut slots, under the string guides and over the bridge saddles (use VERY sparingly) or just get a soft pencil and use it to "draw" over the nut slots, string guides and bridge saddles as this will help to prevent the strings sticking.
Back to top Go down
osdset

PostSubject: Re: hgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp   hgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp EmptySun May 02, 2010 12:39 am

The way I do Floyd's will apply to this tremolo as well.

Take off the tremolo spring cover plate on the back of the guitar.
Get or make a wooden wedge tapering from about 3/8 " to 1".
Push the wedge between the rear of the metal string block and the routed cavity on the opposite side of the springs until the plate that the saddles sit on is level with the top face of the guitar, what you are doing is taking the pull of the springs out of the equation.
Tune up and adjust the intonation as usual.
Prop the guitar up on books or whatever so that you can get to the spring claw without having to hold the guitar up make sure the wedge is facing the table.
Gradually tighten each screw on the claw until the wedge falls out.
Now your strings, and springs are balanced.

This might sound complicated but it is quite simple.
I hope this helps.
John
Back to top Go down
Screaming Dave

Screaming Dave

PostSubject: Re: hgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp   hgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp EmptyTue May 04, 2010 4:26 am

This is too spooky. In my post, the word "beer" has been turned to a link to a website selling wooden garden furniture and the kind of beer garden table I need for my garden - how weired is that? I might even buy one!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: hgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp   hgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp EmptyWed May 12, 2010 2:30 am

Haha, the ad's should only appear if you a 'guest', so not logged in. (Let me know if they're always there)
Back to top Go down
https://guitarprojectuk.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp   hgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp Empty

Back to top Go down

hgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Guitar Project UK :: Main Catagory :: Gear Building & Customising-
Jump to: