Guitar Project UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Main Site  

Help with first big mod

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
st.rat

st.rat

Help with first big mod Empty
PostSubject: Help with first big mod   Help with first big mod EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 5:11 pm

Hey gang Smile

Friend of mine gave me his old epiphone les paul special 2 the other day as he's moving for uni soon and wont have room for it, I've got to say it was in some state but none the less I've taken it on as my first "big" project!

as far it's lying in a million bits awaiting stripping to be re-painted white, "re-furnished" with gold hardwear and branded with the logo of a certain beverage I hold quiet close to the heart as a rocker! (pics will be posted on final completion!)

so here's the deal, I'm wanting to make a fairly decent looking job of this, I'm going to keep it amidst my strat collection for a bit of tonal versatility in the years to come and I'm looking for the help of the UK's great musical community along the journey, and from time to time I'm sure you guys will see many posts of queeries from me looking for you guy's advice and knowledge of the matter Smile

so first things first: Today when I was taking the monster apart I came across an issue, the guitar has been pretty badly treated over the last few years and as I was taking a lot of the screws out they where falling apart in their rusted state, forcing me to pry them out destroying the tread of the screws inside the wood... I know the solution to this is wood filler but can you guys suggest a sertain type that would do a good job and not skin my wallet? I've never done a tremendous amount of wood work before and don't want to go putting allsorts in my guitar to end up ruining it in some way! Also, I'm sure this is a fairly daft question but it never hurts to be safe - the holes which I fill in, am I safe to re-drill holes with new treads for the screws in the same place?

I appreciate any and all help guys, I've always said something so great about the musical community is how everyone's always so willing to help each other out, so please don't let me down now!

Thanks again Smile
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Help with first big mod   Help with first big mod EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 12:48 am

Little trick for your screw holes is to glue in a matchstick in first, and then use just a small amount of filler in the space thats left. Makes it stronger in the long term and is perfectly safe to re-drill.
I had to do it with my strap pins a while ago and they've held up fine.
Back to top Go down
https://guitarprojectuk.forumotion.com
st.rat

st.rat

PostSubject: Re: Help with first big mod   Help with first big mod EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 8:56 am

This is brill thanks very much! SmileSmile can you suggest any particular brands or types of filler that are known to do a good job? Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with first big mod   Help with first big mod Empty

Back to top Go down

Help with first big mod
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Guitar Project UK :: Main Catagory :: Gear Building & Customising-
Jump to: